Thursday, September 23, 2010

H3

Got my H3 on Tuesday, September 21st.


It was supposed to be a glorious day. The report was calling for climbs in excess of 9000' MSL. I sold my soul and risked losing both my wife and my job to get down to Lookout Mountain to try it on. Conditions looked really fantastic all day and as I was driving down there I was feeling very warm and optimistic. About 5 minutes out from the launch I noticed some  darker looking clouds. Within 10 minutes of showing up at launch we heard the first peals of thunder and about 30 minutes later it was pouring buckets! Oops... there go my hopes for the day, washed down the drain.

At about 5:00 the rain cleared away and by 6:00 they had gotten out the planes to begin aerotow operations. I was only lacking 2 spot landings to fulfill the requirements for my H3 so I jumped in line to aerotow. My first landing was a beauty! No stepper just inside the line. One more to go and the pressure is building. By the second tow the air was starting to get rowdy. No worries, the last 300' were still pretty smooth. I come in a little high so I stuff the bar and bring it to the ground as fast as I can. I enter ground effect at speed and start to glide... and glide... and glide. There goes the spot.... now flare.... BINGO!!!! Perfect landing inside the ring and I've done it!!! I give a big ol' Tennessee shout of triumph and go over to share the moment with some friends. It was 13 months and 2 weeks ago that I took my first mountain flight as a newly minted H2 (novice pilot). Now, 122 flights later I have been certified as an H3 (intermediate pilot).

No comments:

Post a Comment